Included below are two great youtube videos about rocks. Below these videos, I describe the first video and my pedagogical rationale for using it in a lesson.
The first video above introduces students to the three main types of rocks – sedimentary rocks, igneous rocks and metamorphic rocks. The video describes each type of rock, how it is formed, provides examples/ images and other interesting facts. This video would be great to play towards the conclusion of a lesson on the three types of rocks to consolidate the learner’s knowledge and enhance the learning experience. Playing this video may serve to excite students about the study of rocks, whilst supporting the various learning styles and multiple intelligences in the classroom.
Visual/spacial and auditory learners for example, would benefit from listening to a different voice explaining the rocks types and seeing examples. On a practical note, another reason for playing this video is that certain rock samples can be difficult for teachers to access, however playing a video such as this allows students to actually see what it is that they are learning about without leaving the classroom. Included below is a power presentation I created (incorporating this video) for a science lesson I will be delivering on Thursday.
Please feel free to share your thoughts or offer any feedback.
Rocks and the Rock Cycle
View more presentations from Karlee K.

Hi Karlee,
ReplyDeleteI just watched your rock clip and thought it was absolutley fantastic! Mum heard me playing it and said how much all the kids enjoyed it as well! There is just so many amazing things to download off the web to help keep classes interesting!
Have you see the Prometheam website that they told us about at Parkhurst? There is some incredible resourses on there also. I'm starting my lesson in Maths and have found some great flipcharts that I'm going to use. Hope your prac is going well!!
Tobey
Hi Tobey,
ReplyDeleteYes the kids really seem to enjoy youtube videos set music - maybe they are just glad to hear something other than a teacher's voice or the sound of their peers chatting! I hadn’t seen them more interested in something since I've been on prac, which just goes to show that if used at the right time, music and videos can be a great way to enhance learning and get students excited about what they are learning. I haven't been to the prometheam website just yet, but thanks for the tip, I will have a look now for some resources for my science lessons later this week.
I’m so glad (for both teachers and students) that interactive maths flipcharts and games exist, I can't remember ever begin excited about a maths lessons when I was in primary school… no doubt the IWB maths flipcharts you use will keep the lesson interesting and your learners actively involved. Lisa Reynolds had the class play maths games on the IWB in the last 15mins of their maths lesson today... I'm still amazed at how simply inviting students to use the IWB when they answer questions manages to keep them on task, attentive and involved. All the best with your IWB maths lessons this week :-)
Kind regards,
Karlee